Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sheila's Wish List

Posted by swilshire 
Sheila's Wish List
April 19, 2021 09:49AM
I'm always open to most kinds of blooming plant. We are on a farm so don't have any space constraints. I've been gradually adding various colors of iris thanks to the generosity of the plant swappers and other friends. I have plenty of light purple, but am open to anything. I found clearance perennial violas at Walmart yesterday, but I love Johnny-Jump-Ups. I also love old roses.

I bought a lot of plants from the local high school (15 flats), but I'm always interested in heirloom tomato varieties.
Also on the lookout for berries (blueberries especially).

I'm also sort of on the hunt for some trees to create a "wind break". I never thought it would happen, but someone is about to start building a house on the steep ridge behind me. Not exactly sure where they are going to build, but I need to plant trees to keep me from seeing them. I can probably find some tiny ones around the farm to transplant.

I don't have a lot to trade, but I'm bringing books and magazines (gardening, cookbooks and mags, and some misc). Also some leftover herb and veggie seeds. I'll be going through the garden shed to see what else needs a new home.

I look forward to seeing everyone.

Sheila
Re: Sheila's Wish List
April 25, 2021 11:26PM
I just dug up a good sized red bud tree. If it still looks like it’s going to survive I’ll bring it if you want it.
April 26, 2021 04:54PM
That would be wonderful! We planted alternating Cleveland Pear trees and redbuds on our road side, but one or two of the redbuds didn't make it. I was going to look for a couple along side the woods to transplant. A good sized one would better match the ones that survived.

Redbud is my all time favorite tree. I lost a really old one last year, which made me very sad.

Look forward to seeing you.

Sheila
April 26, 2021 10:50PM
Ok, it’s looking a little wilted but I just dug it up so hopefully it’ll make it. I may have other little ones if not.
April 27, 2021 09:57AM
Sheila:

I was thinking about your windbreak. We have an older red cedar (Juniper virginiana) that is very dense and a perfect windbreak and visual buffer. Would you like some of those? I always think the redbuds look pretty in front of them, with their pink/purple flowers showing against the dark green of the cedars. I could bring you a few as we have lots of seedlings in our yard. They grow relatively fast.

P.S. I'll also dig up a little redbud for you, although they can be a challenge because of their strong root once they get going.
April 29, 2021 11:45PM
We're always up for a challenge!

Thanks,

Sheila
April 29, 2021 11:56PM
KimC,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to ask my husband about the cedar seedlings. We probably have some here on the farm somewhere too. I hadn't really considered them, but it's a good idea. He's hoping to use trees that he can mow under since they won't be far from kudzu, so that might be an issue with cedars.

My husband planted a loblolly pine seedling from the Lowe's giveaway and a small maple earlier this week. We also have a small walnut that we may move over there from the flower garden. We may also try to propagate some dawn redwood seed pods, so lots of options.

I'll let you know if he's interested in the cedars.

Thanks again.

Sheila
April 30, 2021 10:48AM
KimC,

My husband agreed that we have lots of cedars seedlings here on the farm, so thanks, but no thanks.

I appreciate your suggestion and offer.

I've lived here since the 70s with my nearest neighbor across the road more than 1000' away. I'm not looking forward to having a house right behind me. It's still unclear exactly where they are going to build the house.

See you next week.

Sheila
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.